Thursday, May 19, 2011

Almost seamless baby helmet


When my friends startet to pop out babies, I off course started knitting tiny and soft stuff for the newborns. I base everything I know about babies on what I learned from my seven years younger brother, and he always had the cutest baby helmets. I found a couple of patterns for knitting helmets, but after knitting several I found that they never turned out as I wanted them to. So I had to make my own, and here it is. The pattern is knitted sideways and is really simple (if I have explained it properly). The point is to get a good fit, with as few seams as possible, and I think it worked out really good.
I am sorry about pretty bad pictures, and I will update them as soon as I find a cute baby model...

The pattern will fit 2 - 4 months old. I will come up with other sizes later.

Cast on 36 sts on needle 2,5 (Gauge: 28 sts = 4 inches)
  • R1: (front towards you) S1, K2, YO, K32 (one stitch left on left needle)
  • R2: K36
  • R3: S1, K2, YO, K32 (two stitches left)
  • R4: K36
  • R5: S1, K2, YO, K32
  • R6: K36
Repeat row 5 and 6 until there is 15 stitches left "unknit" (row 30)

Row 29
Row 30

  •  R31: (front towards you) S1, K1, K2together, K33
  • R32: K36
Repeat row 31 and 32 until there is 36 stitches left in all.
Repeat row 5 and 6 until there is 12 stitches left "unknit"
Repeat row 31 and 32 until there is 36 stitches left in all.
Repeat row 5 and 6 until there is 15 stitches left "unknit"
Repeat row 31 and 32 until there is 36 stitches in all.
Bind of.

Sew the helmet together in the back, and add strings (photos will be posted soon)




No comments:

Post a Comment